Monday, May 19, 2008

Canvas Play!

I had some stitching odds & ends to share with you.

Have you ever wanted to start on a new canvas, but didn't have the correct size of stretcher bars handy? Well, here's a tip to get your canvas mounted quickly using the bars you have in your stash. Get the closest size bars you have - so you can attach your canvas to at least 2, but preferably 3, of the sides of your bars.


I attach my canvas directly to the bars with staples. (You can use brass tacks as well.) Then get a long strand of a STRONG thread (I use #5 pearl cotton) and do a long sort of whip stitch from the canvas to the open side of the stretcher bar, all the way across the open side. When you get to the end, go back and pull your thread taut - or as tight as you want your canvas to be - then knot your thread to secure it.

In the photo above, I stapled the canvas to three sides of the stretcher bars, then wrapped & tightened the fourth open side. You can also attach your canvas to TWO sides, and then wrap and tighten the two remaining sides. And, if you want to be truly proper about it( especially if it's a large canvas), you can baste a wide rug/bias tape to the open sides of your canvas and then wrap your strong pearl cotton thread thru the tape - instead of stitching directly on the canvas and risking any damage to your canvas. That's the REAL way you would properly attach a canvas to a proper English type of floor stand.

But in this instance, I'm just playing around with this small canvas that I've printed off of my own printer. I asked my sister if I could copy one of her fantastic flower photos and embellish it on canvas. She graciously said yes...and so I'm off and playing with my threads, trying to see how best to interpret her gorgeous gerbera daisy!

5 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Lovely flower and lovely borders. You and your sister should collaborate more often....

Jane, waving from CH

Cyn said...

Hi Laura,

I've used this technique before and it does work!

I usually use tacks as I'm not very safe with a stapler! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Cyn said...

Hi Laura,

I've used this technique before and it does work!

I usually use tacks as I'm not very safe with a stapler! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Napa Needlepoint said...

Laura -- What did you use to transfer the design to canvas on your computer. Did you just run it through the Inkjet? Did you use some kind of transfer paper?

I've been wanting to try this, but my last attempts were so bad, I've been afraid to try.

Keep Stitching,
Janet
http://www.napaneedlepoint.com
http://www.nuts-about-needlepoint.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for that tip! I often do that with the sides of my XS pieces on the sides of my scroll bars, but didn't think of doing that with my canvaswork! I've been holding off stitching Sapphire Star because I didn't have the right size stretcher bars ... will have to go back and check now to see if I have a longer pair instead :) Your Gerbera is looking gorgeous :)