Monday, February 2, 2009

February

Now that it's February, has everyone started working on their hearts and valentines?

I thought I'd share some of my older valentine designs....Just to get us all in the right mood!

Many years ago,I went through quite a feverish blackwork phase, and one of my first (and very elaborate) attempts was this VICTORIAN VALENTINE:


I was inspired to try and recreate an ornate and frilly Victorian Valentine using red cotton floss (1 ply), a fine red Kreinik blending filament, a fine gold metallic, and simple blackwork patterns. The border areas were rather tedious, with lots of repetitious patterns:


But the valentine itself was fun, stitched in a large flowery blackwork pattern; and couched with a fat braid I twirled myself of pearl cotton thread. And I contrasted it with a rather simple and much smaller background pattern:


And after I finished stitching the valentine, I realized it needed a center focal point, so I attached a big acrylic jewel. I guess I could also have attached a gold or brass charm in the center. An old-fashioned heart locket would look lovely, wouldn't it?

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow!! It looks amazing!! You must have put a lot of time and effort into it!!!

Front Range Stitcher said...

Laura, your talent is just endless. What a lovely piece for February...or anytime. Thanls for posting the photos.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are wonderful. Would you mind e-mailing me with the camera you use. I would like to have more close ups on my blog. I admire your blackwork. I've done some but I don't have the patience. Jan

Lynne said...

That is Beautiful !! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

As everyone else feels, this is very beautiful. You really have shown your talent with this one.
Garnett...