Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Valentine Threads


Several stitchers have asked me what threads I used on my "freebie" valentine model that I posted a few weeks ago.

Here are the threads I used:

First, I used a variegated thread (a #8 pearl cotton) that I dyed myself, so there's nothing QUITE like it out there....however, if you use Wildflowers (a single ply cotton from Caron Collection) in color 025 - "Holiday" or even 005 - "Nefertiti" (has some blues), you'll come close.

Then I used DMC #5 pearl cotton 436 for the gold solid color.

And also two of my most favorite soft metallic ribbon colors: Ribbon Floss 148-047 - "honey copper" for the gold; and Ribbon Floss 148-039 - "wine/red" for the deep red.

For the finer gold grid behind the heart, I used one of Kreinik's #4 Braids, in a vintage gold, 002V... but you can use any gold that you have on hand.

I hope this gives you some extra inspiration for stitching those valentines!

(And after I stitched this valentine in red and gold, I thought, "Gee, wouldn't that look pretty in gold and blue?.... or even gold and rose?" There are lots of color possibilities with this one, so have fun with it....)

2 comments:

Coni said...

Man 'o man a chevitz....I thought the piece was gorgeous on its own, but the frame that you used makes it even more so! Stupendous!

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful. I love everything about it. The colors are perfect. Where can I get this pattern?