Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Have You Visited the Land of Enchantment?

As long as I was thinking about turquoise projects, I thought I'd share this one with you too:


It's my NEW MEXICO STAR quilt design. (Another one of my favorite turquoise patterns.) And yes, this traditional quilt block really is called "New Mexico Star" and that's why I couldn't resist designing a quilt using it.


It features a Southwestern color palette, including Overture V65, "Tahoe" (which I also used in the TURQUOISE BEAR COLLAGE). Unfortunately, Rainbow Gallery no longer makes the #5 pearl cotton version, but this particular color is still available in a slightly finer thread, Encore, which can be doubled up to match a #5 pearl cotton.

My favorite part of this design is the variegated checkerboard border on the outer edge; and also the crisp zig zag border that was quite fun to stitch as well.


And really, this is such a classic quilt design, it would look equally elegant in lots of other color combinations (can you picture it in a modern red, black and white scheme?!?)....And if I were to stitch this pattern again, I think I'd sneak in some metallic ribbon floss somewhere, to give it even more enchantment...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in the Land of Enchantment. :) This pattern that got me good and hooked for life on your designs. I also felt "obligated" to add Turquoise Trail in my stash. - Sue

Wanda said...

I visit my own "land of enchantment" a few times a week while riding my bicycle through a large park near my home. Not quite the same colors but the inspiration is the same. Beautiful piece.