Wednesday, September 3, 2008
I mentioned last time how I started my stitching garden by creating bouquets of certain flowers and stitching them on 24 ct. Congress Cloth. TULIPS, above, is one of those early bouquets.
Then I had the idea to create a collage effect. And I stitched up this WILD ROSE project:
I wanted to have swatches of patterns behind a flower, and then add ribbons and buttons. To do this, I had to draw the design on the fabric and stitch inside the outlines - which worked perfectly well for the freeform flower bouquets. It worked here, but I really didn't see how I could instruct stitchers to duplicate this design using just a line drawing. In other words, I was stumped because this design wasn't easy to explain, especially since I used slanted boxes, which were hard to fill precisely with geometric designs that others could replicate exactly.
So, regretfully, I set this design aside and went back to stitching quilts....
Then quite a bit later, I had the brilliant idea to put my collage idea within straight boxes (which would be much easier to graph and stitch!) and lo and behold, my first flower collage was officially created - the PINK TULIP COLLAGE:
I was SMITTEN! Not only does this layout let me highlight a single flower in the center box, but it also highlights the beauty of variegated threads. And now I have a reason to mix & match stitches to create little boxes of composite stitch patterns - which I love doing - as well as dabble in creating little ribbon patterns to my hearts content. Seeing this PINK TULIP COLLAGE come to life was definitely an AHA! moment for me. I realized I could use this layout to stitch an infinite number of flower collages....and I certainly intend to create them the rest of my stitching life.