Friday, August 21, 2009

Orange Dragonflies

Several of you asked about those orange dragonflies I mentioned in my last post.

Here are a few photos I took this summer while I was visiting my parents in the Bay Area.

This dragonfly was resting on a branch above a waterfall in the yard, and I stealthily(?) managed to get close enough to take these shots with a new little digital camera I was playing around with....





Frankly, I didn't realize until I got home and put the photos on my computer, how close and amazingly clear these pictures were.... And yeah, there's no mistake: these dragonflies are REALLY TRULY ORANGE, aren't they?!?

HAPPY FRIDAY!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow. Awesome photos. What kind of camera do you have?

Babs said...

Laura, these shots are terrific. I never knew that they existed in orange. Your pictures of flowers are also very amazing.

Martha said...

Great photos. I enjoy the close up flowers you often put up. I have never seen an orange dragonfly.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I was one of the people who asked about the orange dragonflies. They are beautiful. What marvellous photo's too.

Wanda said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! These photos are amazing!!! Absolutely wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Flame skimmer dragonfly (Libellula saturata)

Anonymous said...

You need to check out these photos from the Bosque del Apache exhibit from earlier this year.

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/DamselsandDragons.html

I've seen orange, bright green, turquoise, bright blue and red/black before up in Minnesota, but never magenta pink!

- Sue

MelissaD said...

Great photos - we have a LOT of these orange dragonflies where I live south of Sacramento...I always thought they fit well with the high heat we always get around here!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

What a gorgeous creature that is! Look at the pattern on its wings. This is right "up there" with the cobalt blue starfish I didn't know existed. I do love looking at your photographs. Well done.