Monday, November 23, 2009

Prairie Song

When I posted my last Friday Flowers showing bright pink and orange flowers, it reminded me of a canvas I bought on ebay a few years ago. So I pulled it out of the closet and made a color copy of it for future reference (following my own good advice). It's an older Charley Harper design that I had never seen before:


Frankly, it knocked my socks off. I don't know what it was... the pink and orange cone flowers, the hidden bird's nest, the praying mantis, or just the combination of all those things that created a lovely slice of the prairie... regardless, I was totally smitten and had to get it.

It's a really long piece - 7.5" by 25" - and I have JUST the spot for it on one of my living room walls. I've collected bits and pieces of materials for it - the long stretcher bars, just the right color of pink and orange ribbon for the flowers.... but I still can't decide if the cone flowers should have french knots in their centers or beads - the jury is out on that decision....

I won't be stitching it any time soon (it feels like a summertime project to me and I'm deep into Christmas stuff these days) but it's fun to pull out and look at from time to time. Just a tantalizing reminder of all sorts of fun projects still waiting to be stitched....

(Do you have a few of those types of projects hidden back in your closet? Why not dig them out and look them over... It's a good way to put a smile on your face, whet your stitching appetite, and remind you again why you love this stuff!!)

4 comments:

LivnLaf said...

You are SO lucky to have this piece by Charlie Harper! He is one of my favorite artists and much of his canvases and Cross Stitch is no longer available since he passed. I have never seen your canvas and I LOVE It!!! Can't wait to see your progress on it. His whimisical nod to nature makes him one of my favorite artists.

Ruth said...

Dang. I just love Charlie Harper. I've never seen that one either... you lucky stitcher, you!

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

I am so jealous! I love, love, love Charlie Harper and have several of his designs on canvas to stitch. I've never seen this one and it is beautiful! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one; I regularly haunt ebay looking for some that I don't have. Can't wait to see what you do with this one!

lewmew said...

Wow - what a GREAT canvas! I'm not normally a flower stitcher, but I might make an exception for this. . .

What I have in the back of my closet waiting for me is some Nancy Coffelt stuff. Whimsical, childlike and just makes me happy to look at!