Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fall Colors


I recently got a nice phone call from a stitching friend in Lousiana who heads a group of stitchers who are working on my ONE LONG PANEL. She said the ladies are having such fun stitching this piece up. But they had a few questions....

First: one of the ladies has a lovely frame she wants to use. Can she widen the design so it fits in her larger frame? Well...YES! I told her she could certainly widen the design, just by repeating some of the design elements, so it becomes wide enough to suit her special frame.

[Aside: you could also make a SHORTER panel, if you wanted as well -- just pick your favorite patterns and stitch to size!]

Second: did they have to get a long stretcher bar set to frame the work?
Not at all! Scroll bars are not just for cross stitch, you know. I like putting a lot of my canvaswork on scroll bars because it's easier for me to reach and get up-close to the stitching. What's nice about the ONE LONG PANEL piece is that you CAN attach it to short scroll bars, then (from the center of the graph) count up to the top of the design and just stitch your way down the whole length.

Here's one of my favorite set-ups, using a GRIP-IT lap frame (you slip it under your legs, adjust it a jillion different ways and use it comfortably anywhere - sofa, bed, patio, etc. I just love it!)


And yes, you sharp-eyed stitchers -- that's a NEW design I'm working on now. It's another long panel -- but this one is done in the yummiest Novembery fall colors of purples, rusts, gold, and browns (Watercolours 231 - Ethiopia, if you really want to know). One of you blog readers made a comment about hoping a long panel series was in the works, and you were soooooo right! I'm starting out by doing one for each of the four seasons. I've done Summer, and now this one is for Fall...



Stayed tuned for more fall developments....and as always, keep stitching!

5 comments:

momsue84 said...

Very exciting! Another one I cannot wait to start stitching!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you very much for sharing. I loved seeing the sit upon Gripit frame, too, but the new project is a winner.

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Oh the colors on this one and the Hot Chili Peppers are scrumptious! It has finally cooled off some here in the deep South and I'm ready to stitch and look at those lovely fall colors. Great job, can't wait to see these finished!

Rachel said...

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer multi-adjustable floor frames to sit-on frames, but anything that releases both hands for stitching is good!

muebles valladolid said...

This can't have effect in reality, that's what I think.