Monday, August 25, 2008

Drunk on Flowers

This weekend I visited my parents in the Bay Area.


Down the street from their home is a large organic vegetable garden where the gardener sells not only his many types of vegetables, but lots of flowers as well.


I took the opportunity to walk down with my camera and take some pictures (well, I took a LOT of pictures, actually). Here are just a few....

I've never seen so many unusual zinnias,


or huge dahlias growing up over my head...


And I've never seen so many bumble bees resting or actually sleeping inside the larger flowers, drunk with the intoxicating presence of so many flowers....


I could certainly relate! I too got slightly dizzy by all the flowers and after taking lots of photos, I staggered away, drunk on their overwhelming beauty and dazzling color combinations...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Just gorgeous colors! I can only imagine how fragrant the air must have been!

Mary said...

I just posted a picture of one of your freebie designs on my blog. Check it out. It's Autumn Haze done in "non-autumn" colors! I had to modify the size due to the little piece of canvas. I left off part of the outside border, but it turned out great!

Raggedy Anne said...

So many delicious stitching possibilities - any one of these pictures could be the basis of a textured floral stitch collage. I think the most challenging part would be to recreate the striped, fuzzy body of a bumblebee on canvas.