Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Some Holiday Stitchin'

Now that the holiday hoopla has started to die down, I've been able to pull out an old Christmas project and do a little bit of "fun" stitching.
Last year I purchased the set of Prairie Schooler "12 Days of Christmas" patterns and wanted to work them all as one piece. Here's what I've got done thus far:


Instead of cross stitching them, I'm mainly doing basketweave stitches with 4 ply DMC floss on 18 ct. sandstone mono canvas(for a slightly antiquey look). And wherever I can add some fun/easy alternate stitches - like Smyrnas, or diagonal satin stitch or long stitches - I'll do so, to add a bit of unexpected texture to the overall piece. And I'm also going to add small gold beads to all the Santa's coats when I've stitched everything, just to add a bit more sparkle and dimension... Here's the FIRST design up-close, so you can see the few stitch changes I've made:

I've left the numbers unstitched so far, because I don't know what color I want them to be -- dark brown? gold metallic? dark red? I can't decide, so I'll leave them undone until inspiration strikes...

And I've started on the second row of Santas this week. I hope I'll be able to breeze thru a few more of them before "work" stitching beckons and I have to put these Santas back in the closet...

I hope you're all enjoying the "after-Christmas" glow and have snatched some quiet time to do some stitching on a favorite project. It's time to clear the decks and get ready for the New Year, isn't it? Time to start thinking about starting some new and exciting projects, don't you think?

8 comments:

Kathy A. said...

I really like your interpretation of the PS Santa's. Your special stitches make them look so wonderful.

Joanie R. said...

I for one am now starting Christmas ornaments galore, designed by someone we all know!!!!
I got Ornaments 1 and 2 by Laura J. Perin. I'm having a ball doing the 3 mystery ones now, and will start on the new ones next week. I LOVE them all!

Joanie R.

SueB said...

Laura, it's BEAUTIFUL! I've always loved the Prairie Schooler Santas and have many of 'em - some completed, some as "to do" projects - but stitching the 12 Days grouping together is a great idea! It would make a great afghan too. I'm favoring the dark brown ... to look rustic and stand apart a bit from the colors used in the pieces so far; I know that whatever you decide will look awesome!

Happy stitching, and thanx again for the great mystery projects this year. It's been a nice Christmas gift to your readers!

P.J. said...

This is a wonderful project so far, I love your adaptations. Lol forest to seeing the completed project.

lewmew said...

Love the needlepoint interpretation - I do some of that too and just like you - add speciality stitches and beads. Great minds think alike!

Kaisievic said...

Your Santas are beautiful - I am starting them as a SAL in January. I can't wait!

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

Wendy said...

These Santas are lovely, they're going to look great all together. I'm making use of the post-Christmas rush to work on a crewel embroidery piece

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Those Santas are gorgeous! I love the changes you have made to the design.